Did you know MakerKids is owned and managed by women? Half of our instructors are female as well! Our mission is to empower the leaders of tomorrow, and with this, we also hope to inspire more women to see a future in technology. Research has shown that for girls, ages 8-12 is a pivotal moment in their lives when they decide whether or not to pursue STEM-based topics (science, technology, engineering and math). Currently only 3% of start-ups are founded by women and only 14% of executive positions in tech companies are held by women.
We are introducing girls only coding workshops. Led by our female instructors, students will learn how to code, program Arduinos and create in Minecraft.
A word from CEO Jenn Turliuk
Join us Sunday, May 28 for a day of interactive, hands-on workshops. Each workshop is 2 hours and is $32.50. Eight students per class.
- 10am-12pm – Robotics: Make it Move
- 1pm-3pm – Coding: Code Real World Objects
- 3pm-5pm – Minecraft: Block and Item Design
Our Approach: From video games to servers, kids get to make awesome things that they can be proud of – and they learn transferable skills that will help them throughout their lives (technical and soft skills). Parents have reported improved confidence, social skills, engagement at school, etc. MakerKids is a place where kids can feel at home and for them to shine.
- Miranda: I’m a graduate of Humber College’s 3D Animation, Art and Design program, so I have a flair for creativity! I dabble in a lot of different mediums – including Jewelry, T-Shirt design, and building in games like Minecraft! I love listening to kids ideas, and helping their imaginations soar! Brainstorming, hands on work, and design are my specialties.
- Amy: I’m a passionate and creative maker with a love of working with kids. I have worked at a number of camps, working with such organizations like the Tim Horton’s Children’s Foundation and YMCA. I have a love for video games and coding, especially the artistic style – Pixel art. Using pixel art I create my own cross stitch patterns with photoshop!
These workshops are open to girls only or those identifying as a girl. Do stay tuned as we bring on more workshops and classes.