You have that optimism that you can have a career that changes the world. You want to work with people, make a difference in their lives, and get the breadth of experience you can build a meaningful career on.
You’ll find what you’re looking for here.
We’re MakerKids, developing STEM maker learning programs for kids and educators, and running some of the only makerspaces for kids in the world. We ignite kids’ potential and inspire them to be inventors, entrepreneurs, and innovators.
We’ve been featured in major media such as Wired, CTV and the Globe and Mail, and have spoken at SXSW, Maker Faire, MakerCon, and more. Right now, we’re looking for a Public Relations Manager, and we hope that’s you.
We’re growing quickly, and we’re looking for leaders to grow with us and ultimately drive our mission forward. We hope that you are our Public Relations Manager.
Public Relations Manager
We are looking for an ambitious Public Relations Manager passionate about securing amazing press opportunities and enabling PR experiences that get people to “wow”.
Families have been starved of quality STEM education that helps kids build soft skills and become creators, not just consumers. This role is an opportunity to bring award-winning programs to people who desperately need it, and raise the bar of what is possible.
As our first Public Relations Manager, you’ll be a key pillar in our team. You’ll work with our CEO, Designer, Influencer Marketing Manager, Social Media Manager, and the whole team in order to gain a deep understanding of our programs, craft effective PR campaigns to boost the company’s profile and sales, and bring our evolving programs to life in the public eye by increasing brand awareness through earned media. In this role, you will be responsible for managing, executing and delivering creative PR campaigns. You will be integral to driving earned media placements, brand coverage and backlinks as part of an integrated PR, SEO and digital marketing strategy.
With a strong culture of ownership and responsibility, we believe that our job is not done until the job is done. We take pride in delivering the highest quality services that make learning STEM effortless and fun for our users.
What you’ll do
- Work with the CEO and other marketing team members to develop global PR plans, product launches and coordinate with industry partners worldwide.
- Develop a media relations strategy, seeking high-level placements in print, broadcast and online media
- Create talking points, press releases, pitches, fact sheets, and other background materials.
- Identify trends and news opportunities for pitches, as well as develop creative ideas for lifestyle press coverage.
- Manage and build reporter and editor relationships. Leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts within business and industry media
- Build relationships with thought leaders/influencers to grow industry awareness.
- Closely collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure the execution of strategic PR plans.
- Monitor competitor PR activities and create counter-activities.
- Develop, plan and execute a PR strategy for the CEO’s upcoming book launch
- Monitor, analyze and report on PR strategy results on a regular basis.
- Coordinate all public relations activities
- Manage media inquiries and interview requests
This is a varied position, and if you have experience as a Public Relations Manager, that variety will feel familiar. You’ll have our full support to make changes that will make a lasting difference on our business.
You’re the right fit for this role because you have a customer-centric mindset, and are always looking for ways to improve marketing, or tackle high-leverage challenges to make things work better.
Working with MakerKids
Our bright, colourful, playful Makerspace HQ is located at 2451 Bloor St. West in Toronto, which is easily accessible through public transit. This position is currently work-from-home / virtual for the time being, and could be indefinitely if mutually agreed upon.
This is currently a part-time, freelance position – with the potential for long-term and/or full-time if things go well.
With us, you’ll enjoy:
- Compensation commensurate with experience
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
- Fun social events with the team like karaoke, escape rooms, improv classes, and other activities
If you have these, you’ll be a great fit:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations or another relevant field.
- Exceptional writing skills – ability to understand and deliver the message in simple business language.
- Ability to develop strong and engaging content.
- Global experience and mindset.
- Strong networking skills.
- Highly-motivated individual who thrives in fast-paced teams.
- Effective communicator
- Focus on impact: Obsessively focused on how PR efforts can help the company grow
- Attention to detail: Nothing gets past you.
- Ambitious curiosity: Eager to learn skills and technologies outside of your comfort zone, take on tasks that scare you, and grow into a senior leadership role at MakerKids
- Dependability & accountability: Trusted to deliver on the commitments you make to the team, from the big picture results to the nuanced details
Anything on this list would be an asset:
- 2+ years’ experience in Public Relations, Communications, and Marketing.
- Experience in working closely with senior management and leadership teams.
- Established media relationships, especially in Education, Careers & Business Tech.
- Proven working experience in public relations
- Proven track record designing and executing successful public relations campaigns at both a local and national level, for companies and/or book launches
- Strong relationships with both local and national business and industry media outlets
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
If this opportunity sounds like the meaningful, career-building challenge you’ve been looking for, we can’t wait to meet you!
How to Apply
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us.
If you are interested, please send your portfolio to [email protected]